Friday, May 27, 2005

Pie!

This is my strawberry rhubarb pie with Max and Rebecca.


Pie! Posted by Hello

It was very challenging to make. My little assistants wanted to eat up all the strawberries. I had learned my lesson from last time and I had an extra pint just for noshing.

When I was going through my recipe scrapbook I found an old clipping about strawberries. It had a very nifty hint for hulling strawberries, use a straw. Poke the straw into the berry at the bottom and push through to the top. You end up removing the core and the hull in one easy step. There is an added bonus if you are using whole strawberries in you recipe, juices/sauces can run right through the center of the berry.

This pie is very easy to make:
4-6 cups of hulled and quartered strawberries
1 lb rhubarb sliced into ½ inch pieces
1 cup sugar
6 tbls instant tapioca
Two pie crusts (I cheat and use the ready made Pillsbury pie crusts)

Mix together the filling ingredients and let sit for 15 minutes.
Put one pie crust on the bottom of the pie pan.
Add the filling and place the second crust on top.
Crimp the edges and make 3 or 4 small slits on the top to let the steam out.
Place aluminum foil or a baking sheet underneath to catch the drips.
Bake at 400 for 45-50 minutes. Basically when the syrup boils and the bubbles don’t pop.

Let cool and then eat!

No comments: